Ultimate Fall Salad
Ingredients: For the Salad
· 10 ounces brussel sprouts, thinly sliced (3 cups)
· 1 bunch lacinato kale, thinly sliced (3 cups)
· ½ small red cabbage, thinly sliced (2 cups)
· 2 apples, sliced into matchsticks (2 cups)
· ¾ pomegranate arils (1 small pomegranate)
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
· Juice of 2 small lemons
· 1 tablespoon mustard (Dijon)
· 1 tablespoon honey
· ½ cup shaved Parmesan (optional)
· 1 cup pecans, chopped
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· ½ tablespoon maple syrup
· ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400F and line a
baking sheet with parchment paper
2. In a large bowl, combine 3
tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey,
1 tablespoon mustard, juice of 1 lemon (2 tablespoons) and ¼ teaspoon salt, ten mix
together. Add the shredded brussel sprouts, shredded kale, and shredded red
cabbage to the bowl then toss until evenly coated with dressing and set aside.
3. In a small bowl, add juice from 1 lemon (2 tablespoons) along with 1 tablespoon apple
cider vinegar. Add the sliced apples to the bowl and stir until evenly coated, then set
aside. This step will help to keep the apples from oxidizing and turning brown.
4. In a separate small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ tablespoon maple syrup,
and ¼ teaspoon salt. Add the pecans to the bowl and stir until evenly coated. Spread
the pecans onto the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Check at the 7-8
minute mark to assure they don’t burn.
5. Add the apples and the pomegranate arils to the large bowl with the shredded kale.
Once the pecans are done cooking, add them to the bowl along with the optional ½
cup shredded Parmesan. Stir together and serve immediately or cover and refrigerate
for up to 4 hours.
*Can be served as leftovers the next day but the apples and brussel sprouts will turn
purple from the cabbage.
Yields: 4 large or 6 small salads Prep time: 20 Cook time: 10